Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dissections in the carotid artery

Carotid Artery Dissection
So I feel like I’m preaching to the choir when I talk about this subject, so I will try and throw in a few fun facts for you. ;) Dissection occurs when there is an initial tear in the intima of the vessel. Which is…the innermost lining of the vessel! From this dissection, stenosis or complete occlusions can very easily occur because there is blood flowing out of the inner AND the outer layers of the vessel. Oh and it gets better. From there, those nasty little occlusions can then lead to production of emboli, which can then shower into the brain and cause an ischemic stroke. Oh and I forgot to mention that complete occlusion can lead to ischemia in the carotid itself. But when that happens the brain is like ok, I can deal and circulates in other areas for the weaker area. It’s the beauty of a bilateral circulation system.
There are two types of carotid artery dissection: spontaneous and traumatic. Spontaneous occurs in about 3 cases out of 100,000. In those with spontaneous dissection cases, some were associated with hereditary connective tissue disorder, or a history of stroke. But these incidences vary. The traumatic side of it is when the neck is severely injured. I wonder how much head banging that would take. Good thing I don’t act like I can do it. Anyway, about .67% of injuries of people in vehicle accidents end up having some kind of carotid injury AND from these 76% had dissections.
Some signs and symptoms of this pathology are neck pain, decreased pupil size, vision loss, and stroke.
Treatments for dissections include of course the thrombolytic medications if an occlusion occurs, observation, or stent placement. From what I gather though, these are treatments assuming that there was some sort of outcome from a dissection.

No comments:

Post a Comment